Thursday, February 11, 2010

New Stuff

My new wheels ROCK! While in Dallas we went to the skate shop that we normally order from online, (www.lowpriceskates.com) and they gave us some great deals on stuff. After being repeatedly told that I would be able to tell a difference, I reluctantly bought a set of Radar Flat Outs along with new bearings (Bones Reds) and knee pads (RSG Force III). I didn't think the wheels would make such a huge difference, but it did-- big time. They are smoother and I don't have to push as hard to get speed, and they grip really well going around the turns. I feel much more confident on these wheels than I did on the ones that came on my skates. The skates are Riedell R3's; the wheels were Cayman somethings. Pieces of poo, I tell you. We occasionally skate around USM's campus to hang fliers for events, or skate in parades, etc., and I don't own any outdoor wheels, so I'll probably use them as outdoor wheels. My new pads are okay, but I should have bought a smaller size because they keep sliding down when I fall.

Monday was my first night back at practice post-injury. The knee didn't swell much, and was only a little sore the next day. I skated again last night, and did fall drills this time. Today it was pretty sore, but not too bad. It might not have been so bad if I had remembered to ice it last night after practice. Falling on it isn't what hurts; there is a sharp pulling feeling right under my kneecap when I use that leg to pull up. I also have pain in the top part of my shin, which makes sense since the MRI showed inflammation of the something-or-other at the top of that bone. Anterior horn, which I think is the top part of the shin bone, but I don't really know.

It would be more prudent to stay off of it for another couple of weeks, but I enjoy roller derby too much. I'll take it easy and make sure to ice it after practices. As long as I'm wearing quality pads-- and I am-- it's unlikely to have any more pressure put on it in practice than what I already put on it in the gym.

We have about 33 girls on our team now. In the last 2 weeks we've had probably 10 new girls show up! At practice Monday there were 3-5, and then last night there were another 5. I had to skate through a crowd of strangers to find a familiar face! It's crazy! There has been some talk of the team splitting off to form two teams, and if most of these newbs stick around, we'll have no choice. It's exciting and nerve racking at the same time!

No comments:

Post a Comment